Monday, April 11, 2011

A World Unlike Your Own


I spent my spring break on the island of Eleuthera, located in the Bahamas. The image above is taken from a rock ledge located above the Glass Window Bridge. Eleuthera is relatively unpopulated, and in many senses mystifying. How can such a beautiful place be so unknown that you may be the only soul on a ten mile stretch of beach? I don't want to spoil the secret, but sometimes a secret is too good not to share.


I use an iPhone for all my photos, the majority of pictures taken use the HDR feature, which combines three photos into one, "better" one. This feature can be both compelling and a fault. The first picture exemplifies the latter; everything is blurry because I couldn't keep my damned hand still in the 30 knot winds. On the other hand, this picture, featuring a Cohiba Cuban and beverage truly show the beauty of this HDR feature. Hopefully I'll become better at determining situations to use this feature in the future.


You just can't beat an early morning beach walk, before the water turns the mesmerizing turquoise color so commonly associated with the Bahamas.


Another early morning walk picture, simply changing emphasis of the sun's reflection on an island in the distance.


It's hard to screw up solids. When traveling to a relatively deserted island, don't be afraid to utilize simplicity. I love to wear button-downs, but they're too bulky to pack. Instead, I opted for five different colors of J. Crew, plain crew neck t-shirts. Not only did I have spare room in my suitcase, and plenty of it, but I was able to decrease the odds of committing a fashion crime, ten-fold. Here I'm featured wearing my faded green J. Crew broken-in t-shirt, sporting my father's vintage Ray-Ban Wayfarers, J. Crew seersucker board-shorts, and a green Polo cap.

An additional packing strategy is to pack around one, completely versatile color. I decided to bring one, brown belt, and packed everything to match with brown. I didn't bring anything that wouldn't mix with brown, because it would simply look forced. Nobody likes a try-hard, but at least it doesn't involve oversized t-shirts, oversized basketball shorts, "tool" socks, and an oversized ego.


There's more to come on the magical island of Eleuthera, but let's face it, an entire blog dedicated to the island wouldn't do it justice. You simply must travel there before you wake up. Next post I will put up photos of the abandoned Club Med, Eleuthera. In many senses, it's a creepy place, in many others, simply beautiful. My pictures don't do it justice, but it almost reminds me of the Dharma fortresses from LOST, which is an interesting thought to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment