Monday, March 28, 2011

A Day in Chicago

Beforemy German friend returns to her country, I decided we needed to make a trip to Chicago. Simply put, it was a huge success. After arriving, we killed some pre-lunch time at Barney's New York, then headed over to Tavern On Rush for a great brunch. We then took a stroll down Oak St., stopping at the Jack Spade Store. I didn't realize Jack Spade even made clothing, but the store was as fresh as possible, and I'm so glad I took a peek. Even though I didn't buy anything, I know I will be back. After our little Jack Spade renegade, Carolin and I headed over to J.Crew where, even though I couldn't convince her to buy an American flag sweater, found a nice grey sweater to buy. The best part of the day came, though, when we decided to hop on down to my favorite store, Haberdash. Located on State St., Haberdashoffers a great selection of goods from brands such as: Gant, Gitman Bros, Rag & Bone, not to mention an exceptional selection of boots/shoes, and masculine grooming supplies. That straight blade razor may have looked scary, but manly as hell. The staff is really what makes Haberdash a better experience, though. I met great guys that were far more than simply willing to assist me in finding clothes that not only looked cool, but fit well too! Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying any cash, but I did scribble down the information to a shirt I really like (Haberdash,  you'll be getting a call within the week). I honestly can't stress just how cool these salesmen were. Laid back guys, all knowing their line of work, all knowing that their line of work isn't life, and all knowing how to have a good time. After a long day of running Chicago, Carolin and I decided to stop into a Starbuck's for a quick, very strong drink before heading to the last stop of the evening. Volare, across the street, down the stairs, and down one block from Nordstrom's main entrance, is an amazing Italian restaurant. Featuring too many pasta and sauce combinations to count, including home-made pasta noodles, the pasta is an excellent choice (If you can narrow down your options; I recommend a Farfalle Noodle with the Salmonata Sauce). The mood is great, however, if claustrophobic, the outside seating may be the wiser choice. Loud and crammed is the way Volare runs, and it just works. Everything about the restaurant is great, right down the silver-ware. Similar to Haberdash, (if it's possible to draw the parallel) the Volare serve-staff is amazing, and if you're having difficulty with the endless options the menu possesses, they'll be more than happy to give you a hand finding the perfect meal.

All great days come to an end, but yesterday wasn't great for everyone, Ex. the asian woman throwing up in the trashcan next to the exit of the parking garage. All I know is that I will never forget the day I had Sunday, March 20, 2011, and I hope Carolin will not forget it either, but I doubt she would be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment