Monday, March 28, 2011

Drawing the Line on Personal Style

Prior to engaging in this post, I want to say that I more things wrong than I do right when it comes to dressing myself. I have a closed mind, and gather nearly all of my ideas from other sites, however, I do believe I have a few good words of advice on the question of one's personal style.
As my friends and I grow up, we each adapt to our own style, but watching others adapt can be difficult sometimes. For instance, I have a friend that was always comfortable wearing tee shirts, but now is attempting to pull off the collar-cardigan look. I give the gentleman respect for attempting, but more often than not the look feels forced. At times I think, "I hope I don't look like that when I dress up." I believe this forced look may be because the "tee to tux" feel is present. Also, one must develop personal style on personal interest, as opposed to what a magazine tells you, and the looks often appear stolen from a magazine, but only the pieces, while the color palette used appears to have been ignored. I think time will take my friend towards his own personal style, but as a recommendation, I suggest to find your clothing style, and lifestyle as a whole, gradually, instead of jumping into the world of lengths, colors, cuts, etc.
My most recent style failure: Yesterday
I wore a denim shirt and dark brown cords with a crew neck sweater, and attempted to leave the leave the one side of the shirt untucked, and therefore showing from out of the bottom of my sweater. After receiving many comments, not compliments, however, I finally decided to give up and tuck the damn thing in.
Nobody is perfect, try, try well, but if you fail, tackle the feat another day. Just a thought today for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment