Monday, March 28, 2011


Up until this summer, jeans were jeans to me. However, as my knowledge of brands increased, so did my realization of the denim craze. Searching deeper into the subject, I began to find jeans exceeding $400 a pair, which totally shocked me. I did begin to find myself interested in the subject though. In another month's time, while in White Star Men's Boutique in Milwaukee Wisconsin, I purchased a pair of Commonwealth jeans. (Luxury For the People and Commonwealth is a relatively underground brand, and I can't seem to find it anywhere, so message me if you know of a source!) I instantly fell in love with these jeans. When I decided I needed to replace two or three pairs of my stock, I chose a variety of options from brands such as: AG Adriano Goldschmied, Levi's, and Monarchy. At this point, I came to understand the similarities and differences between typical and premium denim.
Typical Denim Disadvantages:
  • Only available in average sizes such as 32/32
  • Generally stiff and unwilling to stretch
Typical Denim Advantages:
  • Price
  • Availability
Premium Denim Disadvantages:
  • Price
  • Availability
Premium Denim Advantages:
  • Denim typically made with a longer inseam for tailoring, ex. 32/34
  • Quality and durability
  • Generally Hand-Crafted
  • Many brands bring it back home in the good ol' U.S. of A.
Premium denim has taken my heart because it allows me to have them hemmed with ease. This is both a blessing and a curse, and premium denim is understandably considered "the stimulus package" because it has an expensive tag price, and often requires further expense for alterations. For a tall, slim guy, I need the excess length that premium denim offers though, because typical denim sizes rarely cover my dimensions, a serious disadvantage.
All-in-all, denim is still just denim, however, it is smart to weigh out the costs/benefits of the two, considering finances and size, as well as taste which incorporates specifics.

No comments:

Post a Comment